Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I almost felt bad...

One of the hardest things I've had to deal with playing poker against other people is "being nice"... I'm a nice guy, I don't like to be taken advantage of and I don't like taking advantage of other people. But if I am going to make a living playing this game, I have to throw nice out the window sometimes.

Today, I was playing a $200 heads up match... I'd lost 4 in a row for the first time in a long time (the $100 match ended on one of the sickest beats I've ever had... we got it all in pre-flop... I had AAKJ, he had KQQQ. The flop came Kxx. He had 1 card in the deck he could beat me with... the case queen. He hit it. We had even stacks prior to the hand). My opponent was timing down nearly every hand, disconnected a couple times... we played about ten hands when he timed out. I waited for a minute or so, but then started raising. By the time he came back the chip stacks were 2750-250 and I won the match.

I know there are going to be people who look at this and think I am a scumbag... and that's ok, I wasn't playing poker to make friends, I'm playing it to make money. It was not my fault he had a bad connection. If I had disconnected (and I have before in the past), I think most people would have taken advantage of that fact. If it happened to me, I'd be pissed, but I know that's the risk when I play online poker (and a reason you should always, always make sure you have a backup connection to your high speed connection if you play online).

Part of me doesn't want to post this because I think some people will judge me and I'm one of those people who hates people thinking poorly of him, but I know I can't always please everyone (I've learned this the hard way) and I promised myself I was going to be honest in this blog and post everything that I went through... this is what I went through today.

No comments: