Thursday, November 8, 2007

An example of how NOT to play PLO heads up

I am a big proponent of "bonus" whoring so I wiped out my new pokerstars account tonight with the intention of depositing it into my new Full Tilt account. I left a little money on there though because I am working on an article for InsidePoker on "crushing the micro limits"... which I've been doing in relative terms (return on investment) but it's really hard to make money playing .01/.02 and .02/.05 NLHE but it's giving me a good base for my article (I turned $50 into $150 in a week playing nothing but those two for about 3 hours a night).

Anyway, I'm done with my "research" so to speak and decided I'd go for the ole win big or go home with the last $150, so I decided to play a few $50 heads up matches. I don't want to embarrass the pour soul so I just crushed so I will remove their name but here's an example of how NOT to play PLO. These are back to back hands.

Seat 1: ME (1300 in chips)
Seat 2: ISUCKATPLO (1700 in chips)
ME: posts small blind 15
ISUCKATPLO: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ME [Qh Th 7d 2s]
ME: calls 15
ISUCKATPLO: checks
*** FLOP *** [7c 2c 2d]
ISUCKATPLO: bets 60
ME: calls 60
*** TURN *** [7c 2c 2d] [4s]
ISUCKATPLO: bets 120
ME: calls 120
*** RIVER *** [7c 2c 2d 4s] [6s]
ISUCKATPLO: checks
ME: bets 270
ISUCKATPLO: calls 270
*** SHOW DOWN ***
ME: shows [Qh Th 7d 2s] (a full house, Deuces full of Sevens)
ME collected 960 from pot
Seat 2: ISUCKATPLO (big blind) mucked [Td 3s 3d 2h]

I understand he had trip two's here but after the flop and turn flat calls, he had to know he was beat... if he had a bigger kicker like an ace or a king, the call would be justifiied but the two likely hands I have are a full house or a 2 with a bigger kicker.

This next hand is a classic example of the biggest mistake many people make in PLO.

Seat 1: ME (1780 in chips)
Seat 2: ISUCKATPLO (1220 in chips)
ISUCKATPLO: posts small blind 15
ME: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ME [2h 8s Ts 9c]
ISUCKATPLO: raises 60 to 90
ME: calls 60
*** FLOP *** [5c 2s 9d]
ME: checks

I know he's going to bet, so I'm gonna let him so I can get a lot of money in there and tell him I am committed.

ISUCKATPLO: bets 180

*yawn* so easy sometimes.

ME: raises 540 to 720

This raise is saying 1) I am not folding and 2) I can beat an overpair. So let's see what ISUCKATPLO does with his obvious AAxx or KKxx

ISUCKATPLO: raises 410 to 1130 and is all-in

There's a shocker. I think I had my hand hovering over the call all in button.

ME: calls 410
*** TURN *** [5c 2s 9d] [3s]
*** RIVER *** [5c 2s 9d 3s] [6h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
ME: shows [2h 8s Ts 9c] (two pair, Nines and Deuces)
ISUCKATPLO: shows [Kd Ah Qh Ad] (a pair of Aces)

So he's basically drawing to the 5 pairing or the ace... so 5 outs twice. And believe me, I see this happen at least 5 times a day and it's the same thing everytime... they won't fold (I fold AA post-flop all the damn time, even on a board like 844 if I am facing serious action... in PLO it's all about getting your money in when you know you have the best of it or are a strong favorite to have the best of it by the time the hand is over0.

Game, set, match. The other $50 match took 1 hand. LOL. I'm done. I don't have to work tomorrow now! But I will cuz I love it.

No comments: